Goa: 72 hours later, the crew of the barge is still missing, rescue operations are underway

More than 72 hours after the barge MV Shri Krishna 8 disappeared at sea in bad weather on December 2, four members of its crew were still missing. Neither the barge nor its debris were seen at sea even as the search operations by the coast guard which continued until Sunday are expected to continue on Monday.

“Our surface and aerial search operations continued throughout the day. We usually close search operations after 72 hours, but we have decided to go beyond that in this case, ”said Arunabh Bose, deputy inspector general of the Indian Coast Guard.

On December 2, the iron ore barge that sailed for Goa from Jaigarh port in Maharashtra encountered heavy rains and strong ocean currents around 2 a.m. According to Coast Guard officials, after encountering bad weather at night, the barge is suspected of having capsized. According to accounts from survivors, who were rescued after swimming for more than 30 hours in the Arabian Sea, amid heavy rain, massive waves hit the ship and crew members grabbed life jackets. lifeguard before the waves throw them into the sea.

Of the ten crew members, the Coast Guard found one dead and rescued two while three others were rescued by three separate fishing boats. More than 24 hours after the survivors were rescued, four other crew members are still missing.

While officials at Shri Krishna Stevedores Pvt Ltd in Mumbai did not share any information, an executive of the shipping agent in Goa, who did not want to be named, said they had hired two professional divers and four vessels private searchers were at sea to assist with the rescue operation. He said divers attempted an underwater search on Sunday without success. They will make another attempt on Monday morning, he said.

Sources said the depth at the barge’s last known location, south of the Vengurla Rocks, was around 23 meters.

Meanwhile, the family members of two of the four missing crew members have arrived in Goa and await answers.

Shahnawaz Alam, a relative of missing crew member Mosharrof Alam, met with survivors Nitesh Vishwakarma and Mohammed Ansari at Goa Medical College and Hospital on Saturday. On Sunday, he said, he made another trip to the hospital and the Coast Guard office but learned nothing new. “Our family member is missing. We need answers, but more importantly, we need him, ”Alam said.

“Our patience is running out and hope is dwindling,” said Abu Mohsin Mulla, a friend of Ali Mahammad SK, another missing crew member. Mulla arrived in Goa on Saturday from Kolkata. “He is the sole breadwinner in his family. His parents are old. His mother stopped eating and his wife has not said a word since he disappeared. We need to know something other than research is going on. All we get is corporate sympathy. We need to pick up a member of our family, ”said Mulla.

Source link

Comments are closed.